President Trump’s administration is widening an interagency investigation into a network of nonprofit groups allegedly funded by a Shanghai-based American Marxist tech mogul accused of sowing discord inside the United States.
The Department of Homeland Security and the Department of War have now joined the probe, Fox News reported.
The investigation targets organizations allegedly tied to Neville Roy Singham, a former U.S. technology executive who now lives in Shanghai and reportedly maintains close ties to the Chinese Communist Party.
🔴 The War Dept and DHS Are Investigating ‘Singham Network’ Sowing Discord in U.S. for the CCP, Here’s What We Know:
📰 The Department of Homeland Security (DHS) and the Department of War have joined an ongoing investigation into nonprofit organizations allegedly funded by… pic.twitter.com/2JxTbQrrmW
— Raheem J. Kassam (@RaheemKassam) May 19, 2026
Homeland Security Secretary Markwayne Mullin confirmed the investigation in an interview with Fox News.
The Department of Homeland Security and Department of War have joined a widening interagency investigation into a network of nonprofit groups funded by Shanghai-based American Marxist tech mogul Neville Roy Singham, allegedly sowing discord in the U.S., Fox News Digital has learned.
The expanding probe now includes multiple Trump administration agencies examining the coordination, funding and online organization of agitator groups and nonprofits allegedly tied to Singham’s network, which investigators suspect of sowing discord in the United States.
Homeland Security Secretary Markwayne Mullin told Fox News Digital he’s working with Secretary of War Pete Hegseth, Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent and intelligence agencies to uncover the inner workings of organizations “trying to stir up discontent.”
Mullin said organizations have been coordinating their work using online channels.
Anti-ICE agitators used the Signal encrypted text messaging app to facilitate anti-ICE protests in Minneapolis, Minnesota, earlier this year.
“We know there’s a coordinated effort trying to stir up discontent online, through online processes,” Mullin explained.
“This is something we talk about with Scott Bessent. This is something that we talk about with Secretary Hegseth.”
“We’re talking about it. You know, our directors and our intelligence agencies are constantly talking about it.”
A Fox News Digital investigation peeled back the layers of the network of nonprofits in which Singham pumped $278 million, funding six 501(c)(3) and 501(c)(4) nonprofits that have spread Chinese Communist Party propaganda.
ADVERTISEMENTAs reported, the Treasury, State and Justice Departments are investigating the Singham network for alleged financial improprieties, malign foreign influence and other improprieties.
Mullin’s statement is the first time it’s been revealed that the Department of Homeland Security and the Department of War are also involved in the investigations.
A Fox News investigation previously tracked $278 million that Singham allegedly pumped into six 501(c)(3) and 501(c)(4) nonprofits that spread Chinese Communist Party propaganda.
The Treasury, State, and Justice Departments were already investigating the network for alleged financial improprieties and malign foreign influence.
The revelation that DHS and the War Department are now involved marks a significant expansion of the probe.
On Capitol Hill, the House Ways and Means Committee has also been pressing the Singham-linked organizations.
Chairman Jason Smith demanded documents from BreakThrough News, Tricontinental, and The People’s Forum by May 18, according to a committee Ways and Means Committee.
Tax-exempt organizations under investigation by the Ways and Means Committee must comply with the Committee’s requests for information and documentation concerning their funding sources and fiscal sponsorships by May 18, 2026, demands Ways and Means Committee Chairman Jason Smith in letters to legal counsels representing the non-profits BreakThrough News, Tricontinental, and The People’s Forum.
ADVERTISEMENTEach of these organizations are part of a network of non-profits operating in the United States with links to the Chinese Communist Party and are funded by Neville Roy Singham, a former U.S. technology mogul living in Shanghai with close ties to the CCP.
All three entities and Singham have become a major focus of the Committee’s ongoing oversight efforts to expose and determine the extent of foreign influence in America’s tax-exempt sector.
“The legal delays that these Singham-backed organizations have put forward are completely without merit,” Chairman Smith said.
“As we continue our investigation into the tax-exempt sector, there is urgency on the Committee’s part to determine whether and how non-profit funding sources and fiscal sponsorships may have helped to sow chaos and violence in the United States on behalf of foreign actors.”
“Accordingly, we have demanded BreakThrough News, Tricontinental, and The People’s Forum provide documents relevant to our investigation by May 18th.”
“Should these entities fail to comply, the Ways and Means Committee is prepared to use all tools at our disposal, including subpoenas, to conduct our legitimate and necessary oversight.”
The letters make specific requests of each of the three non-profits to provide relevant documents and other such materials relating to any coordination or financial links between them and Singham and/or other foreign entities or governments.
The committee requested documents and communications between employees and Singham, documents involving foreign principals, a list of foreign donors above $5,000, and a list of grant recipients located outside the United States.
The House Oversight Committee has also been investigating Singham’s activities.
Chairman James Comer and Rep. Anna Paulina Luna intensified their probe last year, examining whether the network’s activities may fall under the Foreign Agents Registration Act and other federal laws, according to an Oversight Committee House Oversight Committee.
House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform Chairman James Comer and Task Force on the Declassification of Federal Secrets Chairwoman Anna Paulina Luna intensified their investigation into the financial and political activities of Neville Roy Singham, a U.S. billionaire with reported ties to the Chinese Communist Party and extremist organizations fueling division and civil unrest across the United States.
Specifically, the Committee is investigating CCP influence operations that may fall within the purview of the Foreign Agents Registration Act and other federal laws.
ADVERTISEMENTSingham has built a dark money network funneling millions through nonprofits like the United Community Fund and Justice Education Fund to pro-CCP media outlets such as Maku Group, whose office prominently displays loyalty to Xi Jinping.
The committee said Singham’s network includes other pro-CCP and radical organizations, and it raised concerns that the activity may be designed to sow discord inside the United States.
Under General Secretary Xi, the CCP is known for its “Strategy of Sowing Discord,” which refers to efforts to make internal disputes amongst the enemy so deep that they become distracted from conflict.
The committee said it is looking into whether Singham may be engaging in activities on behalf of the Chinese Communist Party and whether those activities may violate federal law.
No charges have been filed.
The investigation remains ongoing across multiple agencies.
The Trump administration appears intent on following the money behind coordinated anti-ICE agitation and alleged foreign influence operations hiding behind tax-exempt status.



Join the conversation!
Please share your thoughts about this article below. We value your opinions, and would love to see you add to the discussion!