Tennessee Gov. Bill Lee granted death row inmate Tony Carruthers a temporary one-year reprieve after state officials halted his scheduled lethal injection on Thursday because execution personnel could not establish the required IV access.
The reprieve runs until May 21, 2027.
That does not wipe away the sentence. It means Tennessee could come back and try again after the state figures out what went wrong inside the execution chamber.
Carruthers, 57, had been scheduled to die by lethal injection at Tennessee’s Riverbend Maximum Security Institution on May 21, 2026.
According to multiple reports, the execution was stopped after officials spent more than an hour trying to establish the IV access required under Tennessee’s protocol.
Tennessee Lookout laid out the governor’s reprieve and the defense account of what happened:
Gov. Bill Lee granted the temporary reprieve after the Tennessee Department of Correction was unable to complete the scheduled execution protocol for Carruthers. The reprieve extends until May 21, 2027, leaving the death sentence in place while preventing another execution attempt for one year.
Lee’s statement said TDOC could not complete the protocol and that the temporary reprieve would follow from that failure. That distinction matters because a reprieve is temporary, not clemency, a pardon, or a commutation.
The account described a disturbing scene inside the prison as personnel searched for usable IV access. Carruthers’ attorney Maria DeLiberato said the attempts involved his hands, arms, bicep, and eventually the femoral area.
Carruthers was convicted in the 1994 killings of Marcellos Anderson, Delois Anderson, and Frederick Tucker. His legal team continues to argue that additional forensic testing could be important to the case, including DNA and fingerprint questions that defense lawyers say were never fully resolved.
The New York Times posted the breaking update on X as the story began spreading nationally:
Breaking News: Tennessee called off the execution of Tony Carruthers, who was convicted in connection with three murders, after staff members were unable to find a vein to administer lethal injection drugs. https://t.co/LfyjRpJDKc
— The New York Times (@nytimes) May 21, 2026
Associated Press confirmed the failed IV-access problem and added more detail on the protocol issue:
Tennessee officials called off the lethal injection after execution personnel tried for more than an hour to establish the necessary intravenous access. Medical staff were able to establish a primary IV line, but the state’s execution protocol also required a suitable backup line.
When personnel could not locate a backup vein, they also attempted to insert a central line. Those efforts failed too, and officials stopped the execution instead of proceeding.
ADVERTISEMENTCarruthers is a 57-year-old inmate convicted in connection with the 1994 kidnappings and murders of three people in Memphis. His case has also drawn a long-running legal fight over physical evidence, informant testimony, trial fairness, and competency.
Tennessee’s execution system has already faced scrutiny in recent years, including questions over lethal injection procedures and drug testing. Thursday’s halted execution puts those procedures back under a harsh spotlight and gives state officials another year before any renewed attempt can move forward.
The practical effect is immediate, even though the legal sentence remains in place. Tennessee now has to account for a failed procedure before returning to court or setting another execution date.
Carruthers was convicted in 1994 for the kidnappings and murders of Marcellos Anderson, Delois Anderson, and Frederick Tucker.
His attorneys have maintained his innocence and raised a number of challenges, including claims about untested DNA and fingerprint evidence, reliance on jailhouse informant testimony, questions about his mental competency, and the fact that he represented himself at trial.
Those claims remain legal arguments. The conviction and death sentence still stand.
Before the scheduled execution, advocacy groups had delivered petitions and raised clemency and DNA-testing concerns, according to the Death Penalty Information Center.
One reporter on the ground shared video as the reprieve news came down:
Gov. Bill Lee grants Tony Carruthers a one-year reprieve from execution following multiple failed execution attempts. pic.twitter.com/OzLeTyeT1g
— Zeke (@ZekeTelemaco) May 21, 2026
The Tennessee Department of Correction had publicly scheduled the May 21 execution and arranged media witness procedures in advance.
Whatever your position on the death penalty, the competence question is unavoidable here.
A state preparing to carry out the ultimate penalty brought an inmate into the execution process, failed to complete the required medical setup, and then had to back away for a year.
That is going to bring hard questions for Tennessee officials long before May 21, 2027 arrives.



Join the conversation!
Please share your thoughts about this article below. We value your opinions, and would love to see you add to the discussion!