Ukraine has accepted a proposal from the United States to enter into a 30-day ceasefire with Russia after bilateral talks in Saudi Arabia on Tuesday.
“Ukraine expressed readiness to accept the U.S. proposal to enact an immediate, interim 30-day ceasefire, which can be extended by mutual agreement of the parties, and which is subject to acceptance and concurrent implementation by the Russian Federation,” the U.S. and Ukraine said in a joint statement, according to CBS News.
“The United States will communicate to Russia that Russian reciprocity is the key to achieving peace,” the statement added.
U.S. Secretary of State Marco Rubio said the ball is now in Russia’s court.
WATCH:
CBS News reports:
The agreement came after more than eight hours of negotiations between Ukrainian officials and a U.S. delegation led by Secretary of State Marco Rubio in the Saudi city of Jeddah.
The statement said the U.S. “will immediately lift the pause on intelligence sharing and resume security assistance to Ukraine.” Both were frozen in the wake of an explosive meeting between Ukrainian leader Volodymyr Zelenskyy and President Trump at the White House on Feb. 28.
The now-unfrozen military aid comes from roughly $3.8 billion in equipment that has already approved, including air defense systems, HIMARS rocket launchers, artillery and support for Ukrainian fighter jets. Ukraine has been buoyed by the U.S. and other Western allies in its fight against Russia since Moscow launched a full-scale invasion in 2022, and the move to cut off aid left Kyiv at a disadvantage and European allies scrambling.

From the New York Post:
This is a Guest Post from our friends over at 100 Percent Fed Up. View the original article here.Though Kyiv agreed to the Trump administration’s proposal, it will now be up to Moscow to accept the same agreement to bring about a much-needed peace in Ukraine.
“Both delegations agreed to name their negotiating teams and immediately begin negotiations toward an enduring peace that provides for Ukraine’s long-term security,” the countries said.
ADVERTISEMENT“The United States committed to discussing these specific proposals with representatives from Russia. The Ukrainian delegation reiterated that European partners shall be involved in the peace process.”
The Trump proposal involved not only a cease-fire, but also a commitment to begin “immediate negotiations to end this conflict in a way that’s enduring and sustainable,” Secretary of State Marco Rubio told reporters after the meeting concluded shortly after 2 p.m.
However, Moscow has shown no willingness so far to commit to a cease-fire — let alone negotiations that would include anything less than Kyiv’s utter surrender.


Join the conversation!
Please share your thoughts about this article below. We value your opinions, and would love to see you add to the discussion!