A mourning family is calling for action after their 13-year-old daughter died from “chroming”.
Chroming by definition is when a person huffs or sniffs anything from “aerosol cans to metallic paints, gas, and solvents.”
In other generations, chroming has been called “huffing”.
In recent months chroming has been trendy for teenagers and children on social media.
13-year old girl dies from 'chroming,' latest alarming social media trend https://t.co/fGnkUuWetE
— Fox News (@FoxNews) May 28, 2023
"Her brain was damaged beyond repair."
The mother of a 13-year-old girl who died after inhaling chemicals from deodorant had never even heard of the dangerous trend of 'chroming' before her daughters death.
— A Current Affair (@ACurrentAffair9) May 22, 2023
Per Fox News:
The family of a 13-year-old Australian girl who died from “chroming” has urged action to prevent similar deaths from occurring.
“We want to help other children not fall into the silly trap of doing this silly thing. It’s unquestionable that this will be our crusade,” Paul Haynes, the girl’s father, told Australian outlet the Herald Sun. “No matter how much you lead a horse to water, anyone can drag them away. It’s not something she would have done on her own.
“The ripple effect is that this is absolutely devastating. We’ve got no child to bring home.”
Esra Haynes died after she inhaled fumes from a deodorant can, causing her to go into cardiac arrest March 31. She remained on life support eight days, at which point doctors determined her brain was “damaged beyond repair” and her family decided to turn off the machines.
Chroming, which appears to be an evolution of a decades-old trend of huffing or sniffing, involves the participant sniffing anything from aerosol cans to metallic paints, gas and solvents. Two boys, both 16, died from participating in the trend in 2019, according to The Straits Times.
Family wants manufacturers to change aerosol can chemicals after 13-year-old dies from 'chroming' at sleepover https://t.co/Tm51V6N0t4
— TheBlaze (@theblaze) May 24, 2023
Per The Blaze:
The family of a 13-year-old girl who died after “chroming” at a sleepover with friends in Australia wants manufacturers to change the chemicals in aerosol cans to prevent similar tragedies.
Paul and Andrea Haynes told A Current Affair that they never dreamed their daughter Esra was in any danger when she went to a sleepover with her friends on March 31.
“It was just the regular routine of going to hang out with her mates,” said the mother.
— New York Post (@nypost) May 23, 2023